Not shown, because I cut it out with the grainline the wrong way, so it’s very wonky.
This is made from mediaeval animal print rayon from the Fabric Store. It stretched out when I prewashed it, because I hung it to dry, rather than laying it flat. It feels really lovely and cool in summer though. This fabric was the best suited to this top out of the four I made (it has the best drape) but also is the least easy-care.
I bound the armscyes with woven bias binding, which turned out to be a real mistake in Version 3, but which you could kind of get away with in this version because the armscyes were bigger and the fabric stretches out more (more room).
The bust darts are too low, and I think this is partly to do with the weight of the fabric (but also because I can’t do darts properly yet).
The shoulders are also too wide, which is a standard thing for me (except I didn’t know this at the time).
Have worn this one to work lots.
Version 3 is a Liberty jersey, also from the Fabric Store. I tried to raise the bust darts, but because the fabric is less heavy, they are too high. The cowl neck also doesn’t work on this iteration, and the ill-advisedness of using woven bias binding on a knit top is very obvious.
Have worn this to work, but it’s not the best. Am thinking of taking it apart and trying something new.
The remnants did make amazing shorts for my toddler (the people at the overlocker class I went to looked utterly appalled that I’d made toddler clothing out of Liberty print, until I explained they were leftovers…)
This is a black ponte knit from Lincraft which really doesn’t have enough drape for the cowl neck style.
This was a complete redraft, starting from the beginning pattern, and it still doesn’t work. The darts are way too high (close up picture below) and there’s not enough room across the bust.
Still: 100% wearable. This is the point, however, at which I realised that I honestly don’t even like the cowl neck style, so I’ve put this pattern aside for now.